Thursday, March 29, 2007

Inkheart by Cornelia Funke


Inkheart
by
Cornelia Funke

2003, 544 pp

Rating: 4




Meggie is a 12 year old girl whose father never reads aloud to her. He gives her books, he tells her stories, but he never actually reads from a book to her. One night a mysterious man comes to visit them--his name is Dustfinger. Dustfinger warns Mo (Meggie's father) that a man named Capricorn is after a book in Mo's possession called Inkheart.

It is then that Meggie find out why her father never reads to her. He has the ability to bring characters "alive" out of the book he is reading. The catch is, though, that someone else from the real world disappears into the book at the same time.

The adventure that follows includes Meggie's missing mother, her great-aunt Elinor, Inkheart's author Fenoglio, and several characters that have come out of their books.

I enjoyed this story very much and listened to it on CD with my entire family on a road trip this past week. The movie is being filmed now and will star Brendan Fraser, Eliza Bennett, Paul Bettany, Helen Mirren, Jim Broadbent, Andy Serkis, among others. I can't wait to see it!

8 comments:

Joy said...

I didn't read your review because it's on my TBR list, but I'm glad to see you rated it a 4! :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your nice review. Many of my students have read this book, but I haven't yet. After reading your review, I definitely want to read it (or listen to it) soon! Also, I noticed that you are currently reading Kristin Lavransdatter. That's another one I've had on my TBR shelf for a long time, too. I'll be interested in your review when you finish. Happy reading!

Kailana said...

I really need to read this book. I started it and I am not sure why, but I stopped reading it. I am hearing good things about it again, though. Time to pull it off the shelf.

Framed said...

I enjoyed this book and liked the next one even more. I understand Funke wrote the books with Brendan Frasier in mind. Maybe when I see the movie, I'll understand. But I definitely want to see the movie.

Anonymous said...

I've read Inkheart and Inkspell and am anxiously awaiting book 3!.. this author writes for young adults, but the story she tells can span any age. (I'm 63 and loved it!)
I also read her Thief Lord and Dragon Rider.. both excellent reads for the young... Cornelia Funke is an extrodinairy "story teller"!!

Amy said...

2 of my kids have read and loved this book. I really need to read it as it sounds like a lot of fun!

Thanks for the great review!

lifelongreader said...

I've read it and thoroughly enjoyed it - a great yarn, very well written.

I just hope that the movie does it justice as the movie of The Thief Lord was very poor.

I would recommend this book to young and old alike - if you like reading, you will enjoy this book.

lifelongreader said...

Link

Here is a link to a post on my blog which gives details by one of the guys who did animatronics on the movie.